My Weight Loss Progress

Thursday, August 25, 2011

A Boatload of Fun

I went out with our young women to go boating/tubing.  Boat tubing is to water skiing what snow tubing is to snow skiing.  All the fun, none of the learning curve!

At first I just wanted to ride in the boat, but finally I agreed to ride on the tube, if he would go "really slow."  Well, apparently we have different ideas of slow.  That turned out the be the most exhilarating thing I have done in a long time!  As expected, my neck and shoulders are pretty sore today, but it was so worth it.  I'd go back out right now if they invited me.

It was also thrilling to see how much the young women enjoyed it. They came out of their shells and had a great time.  The girl who wasn't sure she wanted to go ended up having the most dramatic spill off the tube, and loving every minute of it.  My own eventual spill was pretty mild; I just waited for a calm spot and let go when my arms got too tired. The river was warm and I just floated there lightly treading water (in my lifejacket) until the boat came back around for me.

One of our girls was very immature when I met her in January.  If things upset her, she would sit and cry and pout.  It was so great to see all the changes manifest in her over the last 7 months. She went straight into the water face-first  her first time and then came back up for another try.  She was so thrilled at the whole activity, patiently waited her turn, and encouraged me to try it too.

All of these girls are amazing. I think it's good for them to see their adult leaders participate and enjoy ourselves. I don't want them to grow up thinking there is nothing to look forward to because life is dull as an adult.  Anyway, hey, Johnsons, want to invite me back on your inner tube?  Any time!

1 comment: