My Weight Loss Progress

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

A New Take on Emotional Eating--and three favorite Thanksgiving or anytime recipes


When I think of emotional eating, I usually think of eating to dull the pain, to make myself feel better temporarily.  For me there is also boredom eating.  If my book's not quite interesting enough, or I am just bored (I can't ever say I have nothing to do) or I am procrastinating, it's easy to turn to food to "fill up" the emptiness.

At a church dinner on Friday, I discovered another kind of emotional eating.  I usually have practically nothing to eat at pot luck dinners, due to the wheat and dairy issues, so I made some gluten/dairy free mashed potatoes and corn bread.  I have to say, they were delicious!  I always label them so if others are in my situation they know they can eat them.

Friday there were many wonderful, safe choices.  There was a lovely green salad, some cranberry sauce, turkey, my two dishes, pickles, sliced oranges....I was so grateful that I filled up my plate and went back for seconds.  Later I realized that my emotions of joy and gratitude were still the cause of overeating. 



Part of a typical Thanksgiving dinner--potatoes, turkey, relish, corn, gravy, apple cider, sweet potatoes.  Turkey must carefully examiined, because it may have stuffing (gluten-laden) or be cooked in an oven bag  (flour added.)  The church provided the turkeys and I volunteered to cook one, as a service, but it is also a way to make sure it's gluten-free.  No stuffing for  me, no gravy unless I  made it myself with corn starch instead of flour (gravy mix usually has wheat in it). Mashed potatoes must be made with vegan margarine and vegetable broth or turkey broth, and no milk. Candied sweet potatoes are good if I know what is thickening them (again, home-made.)  Vegetables are often cooked with butter, so I rarely eat them when I'm not eating at home.

Dairy Free Mashed Potatoes

I wish I had the recipe, but I practice Amelia Bedelia Cooking. I don't have a picture either.

About six to eight peeled potatoes, cut in chunks.
2-3 carrots, cut in chunks.
1/4 onion
1 stalk celery, cut in 3-4 inch long pieces

Cook until vegetables are tender.  Remove celery.  Drain off and reserve liquid; put potatoes in a mixer. Add a chunk of dairy-free margarine, and blend at low speed.  Slowly add hot liquid (from cooking, or use broth of some kind) and blend until it looks about the right thickness. Taste it to see if it needs salt, pepper, or extra margarine. Add if needed.

Turn on high and whip until potatoes are light and fluffy.  Serve immediately.

I cook my turkey with a basil rub, so using turkey broth in the potatoes gave them a wonderful flavor! Or if you want it vegan, you could just add basil and a dash of the other flavors directly to your potatoes.

Basil Rub for Roasted Chicken or Turkey

Make one batch for chicken; double it for a small turkey; triple for a large turkey.

1 Tbsp Salt
2 Tsp sugar
1/4 tsp garlic (powder or fresh minced)
1/4 tsp onion powder or dried onions
1/4 tsp paprika
1-1/2 tsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp basil
2 T olive oil

Mix all ingredients together and rub all over chicken, inside and out. Roast as usual.

If you really want the flavor to get into the meat, you can put it under the skin of the breast.  If you don't usually use salt in your foods, then cut the salt in half.

Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Cornbread

Servings:  6-9
Pan Size:  8x8 inch square
Oven Temperature:  350

Ingredients:
cooking spray
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup gluten-free flour  (I use Domata Living Flour)
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup dairy-free milk (I used almond)
1 egg
3 Tbsp. honey
3 Tbsp. dairy-free margarine (I use Earthbound Farms)

Spray pan with cooking spray; set aside.

Mix all dry ingredients and cut in butter until mixture is fine crumbs. Add milk, egg, and honey, stir until thoroughly mixed.  Spread into pan as evenly as possible and bake for 20 minutes.  Serve hot.

Original recipe (with wheat and buttermilk) from recipezaar.com; adapted to gluten free by me. 
     
 
      

  

No comments:

Post a Comment