My Weight Loss Progress

Friday, November 23, 2012

It's not exactly a camera fail, it's just that I'm not thinking blog while I'm making dinner.

While I was napping, leftover gravy and turkey morphed in my mind and became pot pie.  It sounded like just the thing for dinner, so off I went to scrounge up pot pie.

I had carrots, celery, onion, frozen peas, turkey, gravy, liquid smoke....now to make the crust.  My gluten-free cookbook had a recipe, but what I did was merge my regular recipe with that one, and came out with a pretty good crust.

This was the right size for my 6" square casserole dish, the shallow one.  Just enough for four servings, perfect for the four of us.

My son asked if I was going to share, since it was "MDD" on the menu.  Make-do-day--everyone fend for yourself, there are plenty of leftovers.  However, since I was making pot pie they were lucky and got dinner fixed.  He pitched in and chopped all the vegetables for me (thank you for saving me from onion-eyes, son!) while I made the pie crust.

It came out pretty good, and though pot pie is a lot of work, it wasn't so bad with a partner in the kitchen, and the gravy already made.

Gluten-free Pot Pie Crust (small)^

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 stick (about 1/4 cup) vegan margarine (I used Earthbound Farms)
1-1/2 cups Domata Living Flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
abt. 4 Tbsp. Cold Water

Cut shortening into flour and salt until particles are crumb-like.* Sprinkle in water, 1 Tbsp at a time, mixing gently until all flour is moistened and will form a ball.

Split pastry into two sections, about 2/3 in one part, 1/3 in the other. Roll out between sheets of plastic wrap.  If it doesn't stick together well enough to roll out, you can add a little water at a time until it will.  You don't want it gooey, but sticking together is nice.

Roll out the bigger piece large enough to cover the bottom and sides of the casserole dish. Take off the top plastic wrap, invert the crust over the pan, then pull off the plastic wrap and gently shape the bottom.**

Fill the shell; put the top crust on the same way, and shape the edges.  Poke a few slits in the top for venting steam, and bake as your recipe instructs.  Mine was 425. 

^For a regular 2-crust pie shell, it's about 2/3 cups butter/oil mix, 2 cups flour, 1 tsp salt, 4+ Tbsp water.

*I use the whipping blade on my Mixmaster for this part, then switch out to the paddle blade before I mix in the water.

** It's not very stretchy like regular flour; I ended up having to patch the edges along the top, but it doesn't matter because it all hides under the pretty top crust anyway! 

Filling

Not a specific recipe; I diced and sauteed a carrot, a couple of stalks of celery, and some onion, then stirred in frozen peas, leftover gravy, and some diced turkey, about 6 ounces probably.  I could have used a little more of all the veggies, especially carrot, but my son's wife is not a big carrot fan, so I didn't put in too much.  Add a sprinkle of black pepper, about a half teaspoon of minced garlic and some liquid smoke.  Put in crust hot.

Nutrition Comments

This is not a low-fat recipe, but it sure was good.  The key is portion control.  One small pan easily served four of us, with nothing leftover to pick at.  You could possibly serve six if you had other side dishes. We just had a salad to go with it.


My daughter-in-law seemed to like it okay; she ate almost all of hers and I didn't see her picking carrots out.

No comments:

Post a Comment