My Weight Loss Progress

Monday, December 31, 2012

Chili for the Chilly: Hot but not HOT

My son is visiting from out west, and he whipped a batch of delicious, mild vegetarian chili in the crockpot.  We all cook Amelia Bedelia style, but here's the basic idea of what he did.

2 (15-oz) cans Black Beans, drained but not rinsed
2 (15-oz) cans Pinto Beans, drained but not rinsed
2 cans diced tomatoes, not drained
3 (4-oz) cans diced green chilies, not drained.
Sprinkle of cumin (probably about 1/4 teaspoon
Generous sprinkle of chili powder (probably about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon)
1-2 tablespoons minced garlic, depending on your family's taste.

Stir all together in crockpot and heat for 2 hours on high; turn to low and cook 3 or more hours; stir before serving.

He sometimes adds a can or two of corn, and I think dry onions or sliced olives would also be a nice addition.

He usually uses cilantron and cinnamon instead of the cumin, but I can't eat any of those so he left them out of it for me.  He also left out the garlic because he didn't know I had any, but I think it would make his yummy chili even yummier.

No comments:

Post a Comment