My Weight Loss Progress

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Food Fight!

We stopped at a Taco Bell in Rock Springs, Wyoming.  I figured I could get something with corn instead of wheat, but anything close to a salad, where you can get real food and leave off the cheese without it being dry, had a wheat flour base.

No problem, I thought. I asked for nacho chips instead of a flour tortilla shell.  You would think I was trying to rob the bank, judging by the resistance I got.

They finally gave in, but I am convinced there was flour in those chips, so I asked for an ingredients list.  The clerk kept saying. "She said it was corn."  After asking three times, I still could not get nutrition info beyond the "how many calories" chart.  It was maddening!  Isn't there a law about that?

Today I find this on the internet, from their own website:   *Nacho Chips do not contain wheat proteins; however, they are fried in the same oil with ingredients containing wheat proteins.

Now, why couldn't they just tell me that in the first place and save me all the grief? 
The fiesta salsa also has cilantro in it, another no-no for me, but I figured that out by looking at it and seeing the tiny green leaves.  It also has vinegar, though it doesn't specify which kind, and that usually means plain old cheap white vinegar, another one on my list.

Sadly, no more Taco Bell for me.  I can make an even better taco salad at home when I want it anyway; it's just this whole travel thing that makes it interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment