Rules that worked for me 25 years ago: (and I am trying again)
1) When I'm eating, do nothing else. Sit at the table and eat. Food is kind of boring all by itself so it tends to limit the amount of time I mindlessly stuff it in.
2) Don't snitch as I cook. I'm a good enough cook to assume it will taste good without nibbling the batter, the soup, the sauce...a meal before the meal!
3) If I don't like it, don't eat any more of it. I discovered I didn't really like the taste of a few foods I took for granted.
4) Take up just the amount I think I will eat and evaluate my actual hunger before I go for seconds.
5) Exercise every day except Sunday, and record it.
6) Don't eat just because food is there. Do eat if I'm hungry, so I feel good and my blood sugar is up enough.
These work but the hardest for me is #1. Nothing enhances a good book like chocolate...