My Weight Loss Progress

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Sometimes my feet just run away from me.

I hate to run. I really, really hate to run.  I think it's boring, and my thighs and rear end jiggle, sometimes painfully, and I think it just increases the effect of gravity in dragging everything downward.  It probably doesn't but I can't help but think all that jiggling is just knocking cells loose so they can settle downward.  Since I am pear-shaped already, I need a boost, not a drag.

So I walk. I walk to work, and I walk home. Uphill both ways.  Literally, which means it's downhill both ways too.  Figure that one out.  Anyway, I walk, and the weather has been generally nice fall weather, and the air just the right level of crisp and cool.  The trees are beautiful, the sky blue or gray, not quite needing a sweater or just barely needing one--you get the picture.

So I've been walking three and a half months to work, and suddenly one day I felt like running, so I picked up the pace and ran a little bit.  A few days later it happened again, and I ran a little further than before.  This has happened to me three times now, and yesterday I even did part of that run uphill--and it was FUN!

The first time it happened I just wanted to keep going up the block a ways, but I had things to do so I went in the house.  How can running be fun?  I'm pretty sure if I set out to run, I'll quit before I start, but I have to walk anyway, so I guess breaking into a run for part of it isn't going to hurt.  Maybe I can jiggle those glutes away. Maybe it's really anti-gravity.  Maybe eventually I'll go around the block instead of directly home.

But for today, just for today, I'll walk to work, and run if I feel like it, but it's not going to be a requirement. That would take all the fun out of it.  And I always thought "Fun Run" was an oxymoron, a delusion, a marketing gimmick of those who gives us all the "shoulds" of fitness.

Blame the endorphins.

No comments:

Post a Comment