My Weight Loss Progress

Thursday, May 5, 2016

Coconut Chicken and Orange Dipping Sauce

I can't give you an exact recipe, but I can tell you what I did, and it was delicious.

First, I sliced tender chicken breast into pieces about 1/2 inch thick, an inch wide and 2-3 inches long.

I threw a couple of cups of Rice Chex into the blender and turned them into crumbs, then stirred in a heap of finely grated coconut, the unsweetened organic kind, and a large sprinkle of nutmeg. After whisking up some eggs, I stirred the chicken pieces into the egg and then dipped each piece into the cereal/coconut mixture and placed them on a well-greased pan. I popped them into a 400-degree oven for 25 minutes, started some rice and vegetables, and went off to do something else.

When it was nearly time to serve, I made an orange sauce using orange juice, corn starch, and a bit of ground cloves. I just used the proportions on the corn starch box for making white sauce. I put everything on the table along with soy sauce and maple syrup and butter for choices to stir into the rice.

One of our dinner guests, after tasting the sauce, added a bit of maple syrup to it and stirred it in. I tried it and it was a big improvement. Next time I will just add it, or sugar, when I make the sauce. I will also turn the chicken over about half way through next time.

We each had our own little bowl of sauce, and dipped the coconut chicken pieces in it. The combination was delicious! It was tempting to overeat, but I reminded myself that I can make it again some time, and I let the guests finish it off. It was a little more work than our usual method of just cooking the food plain, but for guests it was worth the effort.

I took the extra coconut/Chex mixture, stirred in the extra egg and a bit of butter, and formed small patties. I can't tell you how they came out because I forgot about them and they burned. I didn't want to waste it, and ended up wasting it anyway, but at least it wasn't intentional.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds so yummy! Now I want some orange chicken and rice.

    ReplyDelete