My Weight Loss Progress

Thursday, February 11, 2016

Aim for the moon. If you miss, you may hit a star.

--W Clement Stone, found at Brainy Quotes.

For Day 15 of 30 Days of Yoga, in celebration of being halfway through, Adriene introduced the half-moon pose.

Adriene doing the half-moon pose, Day 15, 20:19

I'm afraid my moon looked more like the quarter moon.  I just don't have the balance yet to do that. I tried; I try all the poses. Someday I'll do this one. I may not look like either of these pictures, but I'll get that leg and arm up there and be balanced.

Half-Moon Pose, Photo from Wikipedia

I can do Downward Dog now! My wrist has gradually gotten stronger, so I can do that, and plank, and some of the others that were difficult, as long as I don't sustain it for too long.  My knee is still sore if I put weight on it. I can usually do it, but every now and then it hurts. It is greatly improved but not 100% yet.

I learned an interesting bit about moon phases as I researched this.  A quarter moon shows half of the side facing earth. It's a quarter of the way through the lunar cycle, not a quarter of the moon we see. I never knew that.  There is not actually a term "half-moon"--there are waxing gibbous or waning gibbous, at 3/8 and 5/8 through the moon cycle, with crescent moons at 1/8 and 7/8, but the actual halfway point is a full moon!  I never knew that.

Phases of the moon, from Wikipedia


No comments:

Post a Comment