My Weight Loss Progress

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Gluten-Free Lotion

At the store a few days ago, I saw a sampler tube of gluten-free lotion. I tried some and it smelled awful!  I wasn't sure of the importance of that, so I went to my local gluten-free-group Facebook page and asked about it. Here is the information they shared. 

Me: I saw some lotion today that was labeled "Gluten-Free." Does it matter? I never even thought about lotions having gluten in them. It smelled bad, so if this is important I'll look for a better brand.

A1: I haven't ever actively looked for lotion that is specifically gluten free.  But I do try to avoid the lotion with oatmeal. Some celiac people have bad reactions to oatmeal if it isn't specifically grown in a gluten free field. If it is grown in a field that has been used to grow wheat, rye or barley in previous years, volunteer stalks of those plants can grow with the oatmeal and contaminate the oatmeal during harvest. So I try to stay away from oatmeal in any form unless it is gluten free. I think some people do ok with it though. It's one of those personal comfort level things.
A2: According to experts, the problem with cosmetics, sunscreen & lotions is when the product gets ingested. So, if you apply a lotion, foundation lipstick, Chapstick, etc with your fingers/ hand and then end up putting your fingers into your mouth (hands aren't washed good enough/ lick lips/ bite fingernails, etc) then you end up ingesting these products, which could lead to problems. Also, perspiration can cause some problems as the product can drip and get ingested by wiping across mouth/ lips.
A3:  I have to use a gluten free shampoo because of a skin irritation I have on my scalp. Due to being celiac. It flares up if I don't. The same withmakeup. Ever time I try to wear lipgloss or lipstick I get sick. 
A4: We use gluten free products for body care because our son had horrible reactions to some of the shampoo's and lotions. He was definitely not ingesting them but has done way better on gluten free items. Be careful as many chap sticks/lip products have Vitamin E from wheat germ oil. Easy to gluten yourself with those products!
Me:  Thanks for the information!

So, after last week's fibro flare of pain and fatigue, I looked at the ingredients list of the lotion I had started using on my face and hands.  There are a lot of chemicals I don't recognize, but nothing that screams "gluten" at me.  



The oil in it is macadamia nut oil. Oho! That's one of the foods on my do-not-eat list. Can the little bit in there be enough to cause all that pain?  I don't know, but I quit using it, and I am quickly getting relaxed, painless muscles again.



Now I have to go do the research to find some lotion that is free of all my allergies entirely. It could be almond-based or some other oil, but definitely not macadamia, and probably not other tree nuts.



Maybe I should just do what a friend of mine does--use shortening. Or lard.  Back to bear fat, like the pioneers--that's natural!
Whew! I'm sure it stinks more than the lotion I tried that started off all this research.  

Not to mention that it's probably impossible to get bear fat.  And really, I suspect the pioneers used tallow or lard to make their soaps anyway. It's much easier to kill a cow or pig than a bear.

Don't feel bad for me--there are some wonderful nuts I can eat! 
Roasted, unsalted cashews are delicious!


Raw sunflower seeds are chewy and tasty.
Raw almonds are a favorite too.


No comments:

Post a Comment