My Weight Loss Progress

Thursday, February 25, 2016

Becoming an Adult

Day 21 of 30 Days of Yoga--

Adriene joked about age 21 being the age of becoming fully an adult, that being the age you can legally drink alcoholic beverages in the United States.  It got me thinking about the ways I still need to grow up. In what ways do I exercise childish behavior? What excuses do I make for doing so?

One of the big ones for me is the way I still resist bedtime. I need a grownup around to tell me to go to bed!  I push past the point of being whiny and grumpy, until I don't feel good, until I'm so tired I fall dreamlessly asleep.  Unfortunately that is often 2-3 a.m, and then I sleep late in the morning.

Another childish thing is to take what pleases now without thought for the future--like nibbling at lousy cake frosting yesterday, for which I am paying the consequence of sore neck and shoulders today. Or maybe that's because of other tensions in my life, but the sugar is inflammatory and just contributes to the problem.

I may need therapy or a support group to overcome the sleep issues. It's time for me to face the adult issues that keep me from wanting to go to bed, so I can overcome this childish tendency. I don't know what I need, but I think it's time to start some kind of process to deal with the issue and start functioning on a healthier schedule. I've just got to figure out where to go from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment